Bake in water bath at 350° for 30-40 minutes
2 cups scalded milk
1/3 cup sugar + 1 T
1 T vanilla
Freshly-grated (or ground) nutmeg
- Heat milk until hot. Be careful not to scorch. (I use medium-high heat for about 5 minutes.)
- Whisk eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla together in a bowl with a spout. (Make sure you have plenty of room for the milk.)
- Slowly pour the hot milk into the mixture and whisk.
- Put 5-6 custard cups in a pyrex dish and add about 1” of hot water.
- Pour mixture evenly into cups and top with ground nutmeg.
- Bake in water bath at 350 for about 40 minutes or until set. (Knife comes out clean when you test for doneness.)
Another favorite of mine (and of many of my friends). I like to put a squirt of whipped cream on top and garnish with a small strawberry or a banana chip. Every time I even get out the can of whipped cream, Mercy comes running for her sample taste! It’s amazing what she can hear when she’s sound asleep in the other room!